7 Free Baby Hat Crochet Patterns
That Are Just Too Adorable!
Looking for crochet baby hat patterns you can whip up while your kids are napping or when you have just a short break.
That's the great thing about crochet baby hats! They are so easy and fast to get done.
They're great for your own kids or if you need a last-minute gift and are seriously running out of time!
I chose a selection of the most adorable crochet baby hats out there. Some are simple and others truly stylish for your little baby diva!
You'll find free crochet baby hat patterns for both boys and girls. Simply click on the links below and download your free patterns right away!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the Start Crochet links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Baby Hat Crochet Patterns
Have you every tried crocheting a baby hat using super chunky yarn? Well, this baby bear hat uses Bernat Alize Blanket yarn and can be whipped up in a jiffy!
You can instantly download the pattern for free and get working on it 🙂
LoveCrafts makes it so easy to order everything you need to make this adorable baby bear hat.
2. Crochet Star Baby Earflap Hat in Bernat
This adorable crochet star baby hat with earflaps would be a great choice for a baby boy or girl.
The pattern is super easy, so if you're a beginner crocheter, you might want to give this one a try!
What you'll need for this project is a 5.5mm hook and Bernat Bundle Up Yarn in Violet Gray for the hat and Duckling yellow for the star.
The pattern is written to fit sizes 6 to 24 months.
3. Crochet Baby Hat Pattern in Bernat Softee Baby Solids
This simple baby hat fits sizes 6 to 18 months.
It's ideal for beginner crocheters because it uses simple stitches and works up super fast.
This baby beanie pattern uses Bernat Softee baby Solids which you can buy from Lovecrafts.com.
For this type of crochet hat, I've written up the formula for increases that you can print out and keep in your crochet binder for future reference.
For this type of top-down crochet beanie, you basically start to crochet a flat circle until you get the desired diameter using increases, then you stop increasing and just continue with several more rounds until you reach the desired height.
Crochet Hat & Beanie Sizing Chart + Template
4. Bobbly Crochet Girl's Hat Pattern
This is such a cute hat design featuring little bobbles that create the perfect amount of texture, but are so easy to achieve.
Using a combination of beginner friendly stitches, you’ll be able to create this adorable hat for your little girl ranging in sizes from Preemie to Toddler.
5. Liv - Girl's Summer Bucket Hat Crochet Pattern
A hat is almost indispensable if you’re in the scorching summer sun.
Here you’ll get the pattern for a sweet little bucket hat for girls. It complements the girls top - Liv nicely, or any cute summer dress or T-shirt & shorts.
6. Lacy Shells Baby Hat in Bernat Dippity Dots
If you're looking for a baby hat with a more lacy look, why not try out this one?
It uses the shell stitch and is decorated with a pretty flower applique.
It is quick and easy to work up, yet it maintains a very sweet and elegant look with the "lacy" effect from the stitches.
7. Lacy Baby Beanie Crochet Pattern with Flower & Soft Shoes
Need something for a baby shower, expecting mom, or newborn? This would make a very sweet gift bundle.
This Baby's Lacy Springtime Beanie pattern provides instructions for crocheting a delicate beanie with a beautiful flower applique for newborn to three-month-old babies.
This pattern is meant for a baby girl, but could be easily customized for a baby boy by using different colours and embellishments.
If you need to adjust the size, just increase the number of stitches and rows until it fits your desired head size.
8. Ribbed Baby Turban Hat & Bow
How about a true fashion statement for your little stylish diva without compromising on comfort or practicality?
Try out this trending top knot headwrap to make your little girl look super precious (and keep her nice and warm of course!)
This pattern comes in size newborn to 3 months, but is easily adjustable to fit larger sizes by adding more stitches and rows.
9. Baby's Buttoned Turban Hat
Here's another adorable baby fashion statement! A turban-styled baby beanie crochet pattern.
This buttoned turban hat is sure to keep your baby nice and comfortable while giving her a truly stylish look!
The pattern is free and easily adjustable to accommodate for larger baby head sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
How do you crochet a baby hat pattern?
Baby hats are actually super simple to crochet, which makes them ideal projects for beginner crocheters.
You can use just about any crochet stitch. Your choice will depend on how tight or loose you want the stitches to be, and whether you are crocheting a winter beanie or a summer hat.
There are also several methods to crochet baby hats. Here are the most common 3 methods:
- Top down method where you start with the crown of the head. You crochet a flat circle using increases, then once you've reached the desired diameter, you stop increasing and simply crochet in the round until you get your desired length.
- Bottom up method, where you start with the widest part of the beanie at the bottom and start to work decreases as you get to the crown of the head. You can start the bottom of the beanie with ribbing, which is comfortable and stretchy.
- The simplest method to crochet a baby hat is actually to crochet a rectangle, sized to the diameter of the baby's head. Once you've crocheted the desired amount of rows to reach the crown of the head, you fasten off and stitch the 2 sides together with your darning needle using the whip stitch. You then gather the top part (crow) and stitch that together to close the top. You can add a pompom to it to hide that top part.
How do you crochet a baby hat size?
There are many ways you could size your crochet baby hat.
- If the baby is with you, measure the diameter and length of the baby's head with a tape measure and crochet your baby hat accordingly. If you're using stretchy yarn, make sure to crochet your hat diameter one or two inches less than the actual diameter of the baby's head.
- You could use a printable hat sizing template which you can easily print at home and check your hat size on.
- Use a hat sizing reference chart to ensure proper sizing. (See below)
Crochet Hat & Beanie Sizing Chart + Template
Crochet Hat Formula
And here's a video tutorial on the crochet hat formula using the double crochet stitch. In this tutorial, you will learn the exact number of increases you need to make to get the perfectly sized crochet hat.
Want to Simplify Your Crochet Experience?
I've designed many printables you can download for FREE that'll help you with your crocheting. You'll find simple sizing templates, project trackers, free gift tags, crochet terms explained and much more. Head on over to the Start Crochet's Printables Page and download what you need.
Looking for more baby hat ideas? Check out these 6 Free Crochet Baby Hat Patterns too.
And if you're keen to crochet a baby blanket as well, have a look at this selection. Check out these 8 Free Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns too.
Free Crochet Baby Hat Patterns Summary
So there you have it! Such a lovely variety of free crochet baby hat patterns to choose from!