Crochet Bucket hats have become a real trend lately!! So why not crochet one for yourself? This pattern will show you exactly how to crochet a granny square bucket hat one step at a time.
Some classic Aran yarn (4 colors of your choice). Any yarn would do really, just make sure it’s not hairy or fuzzy and that they are all similar weight yarns. I used Paintbox Yarns for this crochet bucket hat.
(Summer Garden by Kate Eastwood). The colors include:
- Blush Pink (353) – Color A
- Raspberry Pink (343) – Color B
- Ballet Pink (352) – Color C
- Lime Green (328) – Color D
- Vanilla Cream (307) (did not use this color from this set for this project)
- Crochet hook that fits your yarn. Generally I use between a size US G-6 / 4mm to US H-8 / 5mm hook. For this project I used a US Size 7 / 4.5 mm hook.
mc = magic circle
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
st = stitch
sts = stitches
dc2tog = double crochet 2 together
fo = fasten off
Advanced Beginner / Intermediate
16 stitches and 8 rows = 4″ (10 cm) in double crochet
Approx. 125 yards (114m) for a child’s hat (6 years old)
Please check Hat Size Template Below for other sizes.
Crochet Bucket Hat Measurements
I made this bucket hat for my 6-year old daughter. Here are the measurements for this sized hat:
– Top of hat (hat crown circle diameter) = 6″ (15 cm)
– Each Granny Square size = 3.5″ (9 cm) x 5 Granny Squares = 17.5″ (44.5cm)
– Total hat circumference = 19″ (47.5 cm)
– Hat side length (from top of crown to top of ears = 6.7″ (17cm)
To check what size hat you are making, multiply the diameter of your beginning circle by 3.14.
This product is for a CROCHET PATTERN only.
This is NOT for a finished physical item. Nothing will be shipped to you by post. You will download a digital file that you can save on your computer/tablet or cell phone.
NO RETURNS or REFUNDS will be issued on Instant Downloads after pattern/s have been downloaded.
This pattern explains how I make this project. It is NOT GUARANTEED that your finished project looks exactly the same. This will depend on a number of reasons: yarn and hook you use, your crocheting skills, style, tension, etc.
This pattern or its parts may not be REPLICATED, ALTERED, SHARED or RESOLD without permission.
You may SELL physical items made from this pattern, but please GIVE CREDIT to me as the designer (see below).
Rights are NOT transferrable.
If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them for you before or after your purchase.
Design and photos are copyright of Start Crochet [May Shehab] © 2022.
Pattern Tester Acknowledgement
Many thanks to my pattern testers. This pattern has been tested by: